Find the best gun safe is important. Firearms are an expensive investment and often a family heirloom. They should be protected from theft, fire and unauthorized use. Storing your firearms in a gun safe is the best way to protect them. Some people put their firearms in gun cases; this will protect them from dust, but not much else.
Two of the biggest issues that a gun safe addresses are children accessing the firearms and theft of the firearms. In some states, you must have your firearms secured or you could be held liable if they are stolen. The best gun safes will also protect your ammunition, important documents and other small valuables.
Choosing the Best Gun Safe
Some of the things to take into consideration when purchasing the best gun safe for you is what type of guns will you be storing in the safe. If you only have handguns, some might suggest purchasing a pistol safe.
Although it would work, take into consideration that at some point down the road, you may choose to expand your firearms to include long weapons. It would be simpler to purchase a larger gun safe than run out of room later if you just had a handgun safe.
As stated before, you can also use the safe to store other items such as documents or jewelry. When deciding what size safe is appropriate for you, also keep in mind where you will place the safe in your home. Make sure the area is big enough to open the door of the safe and the floor is sturdy enough to support the weight of the safe and its contents.
Specifics to Look For
Among the features you should look for when purchasing a gun vault are fire rating, locking mechanisms, steel thickness, warranty, and price.
- The fire rating will tell you how long in a specific temperature your valuables will be protected by the safe.
- The locking mechanism comes down to personal preference for many people. A locking mechanism can be as simple as a combination lock or as high tech as thumbprint identification. The most important factor in a locking mechanism is that it keeps out those you want to keep out of the safe, such as children and thieves, but also allows you access without difficulty when you need to open the safe.
- Warranties vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Warranties are as short as one year and as long as a lifetime.
- The thickness of the steel is another factor to take into consideration. A gun safe with a thicker steel shell will provide a tougher layer for thieves to try to break through. A good thing to look for is certification by the Underwriters Laboratories as a Residential Security Container. This means the safe requires a minimum of 5 minutes of hard pounding by a tool such as an axe to break into the safe.
- The final piece of the puzzle is price. You can find gun safes for sale in a variety of different types of stores at varying prices. Find one that matches as much of your criteria and still fits into your budget.
Click here to find a large selection of gun safe reviews, pictures and information. By taking the time to find the best gun safe for your situation, you will be protecting you firearms, your family and yourself.